Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Snowshoe jones

OK. So we've got the cold weather. Where's the snow?

Since the Patriots gave away the AFC Championship Game to the Indianapolis Colts two weeks ago, I lost a significant source of my extrinsic excitement. There are few things I enjoy more than sitting back on the couch, firing up my HD flat screen, cranking the 5.1 Dolby surround sound, and letting my spirits rise and fall with the weekly fate of Bill Belichick's gridiron boys.

The Pats are done, the Celtics are bottom-dwellers, and the Bruins irreverent. There's still three months to go until Red Sox opening day.

Aside from the Sopranos' final season (eight episodes slated to begin in March), there's not much else in the realm of high-definition entertainment worth getting excited about.

So I now turn toward the skies.

Please, Mother Nature, give me some powder upon which I may tread...

...through valley and field, stream and pond, I yearn for the crunch of white and the calm of crisp cold.

Listen to the chirp and rustle, the little scuttle, of birds and beavers, fox and otter. Behold the glimmer of the orb, undying, strengthening...

...in the blink of an eye the ground shall thaw and green things grow. Rain will yield the sun's full fury. We shall soon be scorched and forced to shelter in the very waters we now walk.

But as it is still cold, I seek a sojourn. 'Tis a placid white, a calming balm, that I do summon. My eyes are open. I await.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

if it has to be cold, it might as well snow, right?

Mr. B-G said...

Exactly.

And, I suppose after watching Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth, I'm more concerned than ever about global warming's real effects.

A little snow would make things seem a bit more "normal," although I honestly believe that our planet's in serious trouble.

Even if the system changes, there's no guarantee we'll be able to save Earth.

It's really up to our elected officials to act NOW.

Check out the link to the movie's site. It's worth the visit:

http://www.climatecrisis.net/

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr.BG, just thought I'd check in on the site.

I enjoyed this little musing.

I understand the importance you encompassed in the subtle paragraph referencing climate change, but what stood out to me was your poetic description of walking in Nature's valhalla.

Trekking through the snow in a secluded area can be one of the most entrancing experiences, you really expressed the mood of it well.
There is a place I have been named Fort Dumner in Brattleboro, VT. There are many trails one can explore throughout a deep forest of snow...that is to say if we are graced with more in the closing months of winter.

I really enjoyed this.
Have fun in your adventures.

Mr. B-G said...

Hey Jack,

Thanks for coming back to the blog. Glad you found time to read my musing. I've been to Brattleboro, VT, but never to Fort Dumner. I'll have to check it out.

Vermont is one my favorite states to visit, regardless of season. There's great camping and hiking, unique and rustic cabins and rooms available for rent, and some cool cities and towns.

In particular, I really enjoy Burlington, and almost went to college at University of Vermont. Given that tuition was three times as much as UMass Amherst, I ended up staying in MA, but made sure to visit friends and enjoy all that the city offered.

I hope you have fun in your adventures as well.