Wednesday, January 24, 2007

No time for poetry...

... but exactly what is. I am a Jack Kerouac fan. His spontaneous prose style, his philosophy of "first thought, right thought," inspires me in my own writing.

I think it's possible as a writer to develop a tendency of hesitating, of putting the breaks on, of bringing to a halt an idea before it can develop.

The best place for straight-ahead writing is a personal journal, although Kerouac made a name for himself by unabashedly baring his soul in unapologetic fashion. His strength was his tenderness of spirit.

There is so much I'd like to do with this blog. There's so much I want to do as a teacher, as a writer, as a young American living in an era that's constantly changing and evolving.

Our lives consist of stimulation and pace - an undying march toward an infinite end. If we are fortunate, we find within this procession our column, row, and place to stand alone and together.

No comments: