Thursday, January 4, 2007

Routine

One of my goals for this blog is to post comments multiple times per week. I would like to focus my responses on content - on what I'm teaching, what I'm learning, what I'm discovering. I'd like to document my process, and the highs and lows prevalent to the teaching profession.

I would like to limit my responses to curriculum and pedagogy as much as possible. As I begin to publicize this blog with my students, colleagues, and friends, word will get out that Mr. B-G has a blog. Unlike some other edu-blogs, I do not plan to share my personal feelings about individual students, teachers, administrators, school policies, etc.

This blog's main purpose is to serve as a virtual extension of my classroom, so what isn't discussed in class won't be shared in the blog. I am comfortable with people knowing who I am and that I am blogging, and as such want to be as professional and objective as possible, knowing my audience could literally be anyone.

That being said, I would be remiss if I did not mention that we had a bomb threat yesterday, that school was released, and that it was disruptive and troubled me greatly. It's a shame, because we just returned from vacation, and are at the point where we're switching gears - the quarter is ending and a new semester is starting. Teachers are wrapping up units and planning great things for the second half. Yesterday's disturbance was a momentum killer.

One of the nice things about working with students, I must say, is their resiliency and ability to bounce back. Their positive energy today was inspiring, and helped me feel better. Tomorrow we'll be back in the computer lab, making edits and revisions in preparation for our short story postings next week.

On a final note, I don't know if anyone but me has yet to read these entries. Eventually I hope to comment on some of the other teacher blogs included in the link list on the right, in hopes that they can learn I'm here and drop a few comments in return.

No comments: