Saturday, March 28, 2020

Third dispatch from home - The Office basketball game

So, this video showed up in my YouTube recommendations last night. Being a NBA fan who bleeds Green (yes, I followed the Celtics religiously during their 22-year championship drought from 1986-2008), watching The Ringer's analysis of the classic Office basketball game is about as much hoops as I'm going to get during the 2020 corona closure.

The analysis is spot on, the game footage is captivating, and the dry humor just adds to the overall enjoyment of the viewing experience.

The Office television show premiered in the spring of 2005, during my first year as a high school English and journalism teacher. Suffice it to say, I was pretty consumed by the demands of the job, and had little time to watch TV. Things didn't change much over the next few years, and The Office just ended up being one of those shows that passed me by.

About a year ago, my wife and I started watching Office episodes on Netflix. We still have a few seasons to go, but should have no problem finishing them before the show is removed from Netflix by the end of the year. I will say, the characters have grown on me, and are always good for a laugh - even when I'm not in the most amiable mood. To see them engaged in their warehouse game of roundball brought a smile - and more than a few laughs - to my face. 

No comments: