Monday, June 25, 2007

Summer reading


I am officially one week into summer vacation, and boy does it feel great.

Today my fiancee and I returned from a four-day trip to Pennsylvania to attend a wedding and spend time lounging around her parents' house. Our trip was fun and relaxing; we celebrated, ate, read, and napped. It felt good to put a sizable dent in Ireland, the 567-page novel I started reading over Christmas break but hadn't picked up since.

This Friday I leave for a 70-mile Appalachian Trail hike in the Berkshires with my friend Dan, whom I've been pals with since high school.

During the hike I plan to read Tracy Kidder's Mountains Beyond Mountains, one of the three 9th and 12th grade books on my school's 2007 Summer Reading List that I have yet to enjoy. The other two are Meg Rosoff's How I Live Now and Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. I know I read Things in college, but I don't remember much of it.

As I finish these books, I will post comments on each of them. I encourage any former or soon-to-be students who read this blog to also post comments about the books they are reading over the summer. I am curious to know what students are choosing to read, and what they think about what they're reading. I will periodically peruse the comments and do my best to respond.

For those having trouble with their summer reading, I recommend checking out these Summer Reading Suggestions. There's nothing here that veteran readers haven't encountered, but there might be a few ideas that reluctant readers will find beneficial. I particularly enjoy the quote at the end from Henry Ward Beecher.

Happy reading!

Image from Nicholas A. Ferri Middle School website, accessed 6/25/07

No comments: